Anulom Vilom Pranayam process, benefits, steps, when to do (timing) pros and cons.
As we all know we have two nostrils, one on the right and second on the left, both play a different and important role in breathing. So let’s study more about – Anulom Vilom Pranayam i.e, breathing.
In the ancient Upanishads it is studied that right nostril is Pingala Nadi represents to sun principle or body), half of our body is said to be always hot it is just because the right testicles of the body creates fire in our body which places a great role for digestion. In short, right nostril is Sunlike nature.
Anulom Vilom Pranayam
Whereas the left nostril represents Ida Nadi(moon principle or mind), it is reversible to Pingala Nadi. It has Moonlike nature and cooling effect. Left testicle works as cooling process and courses to the left nostril. Saints believe that Pingala nadi is corresponding to Yamuna River and Ida nadi to the river Ganges.
In Anulom Vilom Pranayam normally we inhale from one nostril and exhale from second and this process brings balance to the body. If any changes occur to breathing process, then our body feels sick and creates an imbalance in the metabolic process. Just to balance the metabolic process Anulom Vilom is performed.
It is very easy and effective to purify your mind and body. It helps to keep your mind fresh and stress-free. The Pranayam is excellent for weight loss, almost everyone can do it. As well it has many benefits.
Benefits of Anulom Vilom Pranayam
Nadi Shodhan is nothing but Anulom Vilom, the name itself says shudi kriya(cleaning) of tubes (nadi), Anulom Vilom is also called Alternate Nostril Breathing.
- Anulom Vilom balances the physical and mental energy of our body.
- Increase in oxygen and effective decrease in carbon-dioxide.
- Improves blood circulation and purifies blood to toxins.
- Keep mind free from Stress, Anxiety, Depression, Mental illness, Hypertension and mind related problems.
- Keep away the heart-related problems.
- Mind and body are relaxed after performing the process.
- Improves concentration and mind in positive thinking.
- Give a great glowing skin with no Pimples and no skin problems.
- Regular practice of Anulom Vilom breathing keeps the body clean and strong.
- Body with active and more energy level.
- Helps to improve the functioning of lungs.
- Cures diseases like a migraine, headache, Asthma, Heart attack, Gastric problems, depression, Blockage of arteries, Sinus, Respiratory problems, Blood pressure, Constipation and Heart blockage.
- Gives all benefits of deep breathing as well.
Best Time to Practice
The best time to perform this pranayama is in the early morning. It can also be practiced every four hours from the meals and the stomach should be empty. Why only empty stomach because in our body oxygen components will be high in the early morning and practice of Anulom Vilom purifies the oxygen and gives more energy and makes the body active.
Before Performing Anulom Vilom
Make sure that you perform this process under the guidance of practitioner or Yoga trainer. Normally it is done by sitting down on yoga mat and legs crossed, but patients with arthritis make sure you sit in a wooden chair as to your comfort with a straight back. For better and quick result choose a calm place with lots of fresh air like a garden or as for the convenience. Try to do with an empty stomach and early morning, if it’s not possible in morning to do it some other time but at least after 4 hours of your last meal.
Procedure to do Anulom Vilom
- First of all sit down on a yoga mat with eyes close, calm your mind and place your hands on knees.
- Create a mudra on the right hand by opening thumb, little finger and ring finger.
- Now close your right nostril with thumb and inhale through the left nostril, to the count of three.
- Don’t lift your elbow too high it leads to pain in your hands.
- Hold the breath a while, ring finger and little finger are kept extended to close the other nostril.
- Exhale through right nostril by closing left nostril with little and ring finger, to the count of two with little force.
- Now inhale deeply with right nostril and exhale through left nostril by closing right nostril with a thumb.
- This is one round.
- Do the repetitions of rounds for at least 15 to 20 minutes.
- After regular practice increases the time period along with a ratio of inhalation and exhalation.
- Remember not to raise your shoulder while breathing and breath deep into your lungs, not into the stomach.
- Be focused and concentrate on your breathing while doing this pranayama.
Precautions to be Taken
- Those who are suffering from high blood pressure should not do this Pranayam.
- While doing this pranayama if you feel suffocated then stop it immediately and do normal breathing.
- Perform this process under the guidance of a trainer.
- No force and stress should be there while doing this exercise, it makes cause harm to the body.
- Breathe should not create sound, keep it rhythmic and steady.
- The one who is trained and do pranayama regularly can hold breathe but beginners should not hold it.
- For a pregnant lady, this is the excellent exercise but the ratio of inhaling and exhale should be less.
- Always choose an open and greenery place to perform the pranayama.
- Patients with arthritis should sit on a chair and practice the pranayama.
- Don’t have your meal immediately after doing Anulom Vilom pranayama.
So, that was all about the Anulom Vilom Pranayam process, benefits, steps, when to do (timing) pros and cons.