Ayurvedic Foot Massage: Check out 30 Best Ayurvedic Foot Massage benefits, Advantages, techniques, Padabhyanga and details on Kerala Ayurvedic Foot Massage.
Ayurveda is one of the ancient healing systems which has its roots mainly in the Indian subcontinent. It was developed around 5000 BCE.
According to reports, about 70-80% of the people in India practice one or the other Ayurvedic procedure. In the western world too, Ayurveda has found its place and has been regarded as an alternative medicine.
Ayurveda believes that the overall health of the body depends upon the perfect balance and coordination between mind, body, and spirit. A disruption of this coordination may cause sickness.
Ayurvedic Foot Massage
According to Lord Buddha, ‘The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground’. The feet connect us to the earth, to which we belong. Foot care is something which shall be taken into account. Feet have been given a lot of importance in the Indian customs and traditions. They are one of the essential parts of the body. There is a whole list of therapies regarding foot care and massage.
In Sanskrit, foot massage is termed as Padabhyanga. It consists of two words, Pada which means foot and Abhyanga mean massage using medicated oils. It is a holistic therapy which helps in psychosomatic healing.
Ayurvedic Foot Massage Benefits
Several benefits are associated with the Ayurvedic foot massage. Some of them are listed below –
Get Rid of Rough Feet
It is an effective treatment to deal with the roughness, dryness, and fatigue of feet.
Strengthen Foot Joints & Tissues
It helps in strengthening the small joints and tissues in the foot.
- It also helps in reducing the stress which one feels at the end of the day.
- Regular foot massage helps in curing the cracks in the heels.
- Healthy feet play an important role in carrying out the day to day work. Regular foot massage helps in the accomplishment of the routine work without any trouble.
- A good foot massage can remove the anxiety one feels.
- One can also cure or prevent the numbness of legs and feet with a proper foot massage.
- Foot massage is also associated with the body metabolism to some extent. It improves the metabolism and one feels healthy.
- It plays an important role in tackling hypertension and depression.
- Regular foot massage relaxes the whole body and thus promotes good sleep. It tackles insomnia in a better way.
- One needs to make his immune system very strong, so as to fight the infections he may face. Good foot massage can improve the immune system of the body.
- After a long tiring day, the foot massage can help in calming down the mind and refreshing it.
- Relieves cramps one may face in legs.
- The foot massage has an ability to refresh the mind and cure headaches.
- Foot massage is a kind of healing from which Acupressure, Acupuncture, and Pedicure have originated.
- It improves the circulation of blood flow that reaches the upper and lowermost boundaries of the body.
- It helps in maintaining good eyesight.
- It maintains good hearing capacity.
- A regular foot massage can also help in dealing with a rare disorder in which the brain does not function properly, thus causing seizures.
- It cures paralysis:
- Hemiplegia: It affects one side of the body.
- Paraplegia: It affects the legs and pelvic organs.
- If foot massage is given to pregnant women, it can reduce the collection of watery fluid in the tissues of the body.
- It can very well prevent the age-related macular degeneration.
- It has the ability to cure the burning sensation one feels in the feet.
- High blood sugar levels can damage the nerve fibers in the body. Foot massage can cure it.
- It increases the overall energy of the body.
- Helps in curing a cold and cough.
- Today a lot of people suffer from a backache. Foot massage can also help in curing it.
- It helps in preventing varicose veins.
- It improves the blood circulation and keeps the whole body system healthy.
The choice of massage oil can enhance the benefits of foot massage. The oils such as sesame oil, olive oil, ghee, coconut oil, sunflower oil, can be used. Sesame oil is the commonly used oil. When someone is suffering from a cough and cold, then use of jojoba oil and sesame oil, is best suited. Cow ghee is useful while dealing with disorders like burning sensation and diabetic neuropathy.
When to do Ayurvedic Foot Massage?
Foot massage can be done at any time during the day, but it gives the best result when done before bedtime. It has been years since foot massage is practiced by people in different cultures and regions, thus promoting good health among them.